Emerson C. Harrington Bridge and Frederick C. Malkus Bridge
The Harrington Bridge was dedicated in 1935 by Franklin Delano Roosevelt. It was replaced in 1987 but parts of the original bridge is being used as a fishing pier.
The Choptank River Lighthouse was built in 2012 as a replica of the last lighthouse originally located close to this area up where the river meets the Chesapeake Bay. It is a hexagon shape and sits on pilings similar to screwpile.
From 1946 to 1960 the former Presidential Yacht "Potomac" was berthed in a slip at Long Wharf along the Choptank River. It was modified to include a dummy stack concealing an elevator used by the President. In 1954, it became a memorial to Franklin Delano Roosevelt in Cambridge.
Cambridge Firehouse Tower
This is the fourth building to serve as the Dorchester County Courthouse. The front section was built in 1854. It was designed by architect Richard Upjohn who also designed Trinity Church in New York. The courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and was named by the National Park Services as an official site of the Underground Railroad Network to Freedom in 2005. There is a bell that sits on the front lawn of the courthouse that was taken from a Mexican monastery in 1846 during the Mexican War and used as a fire alarm in Cambridge. The local DAR found it in storage and had it mounted across from and facing the graves of Revolutionary War Veterans.
Christ Protestant Episcopal Church made of stone in the Gothic Revival style was built between 1883 and 1892. It was designed by Charles E. Cassell a Baltimore architect. A few of his works are on the National Register of Historic Places including Christ Episcopal Church listed in 1984. The Great Choptank Parish was one of 30 parishes of the Church of England established in 1692 in the Colony of Maryland and Christ Church located in Cambridge was a principal church of that parish. From 1693 there was an Anglican church on these lands, this is the third church to be on this property.
Christ Protestant Episcopal Church Cemetery grounds contains American Revolutionary War Heroes as well as other war heroes and includes an Ambassador, local politicians, Congressman, Maryland Attorney General and the most notable resident John Henry.
Spocott Windmill, named "George L." in honor of the late Senator George L. Radcliffe is a fully operating English style post windmill. This current windmill was designed by master shipbuilder, James B. Richardson in 1972. It is located on Hudson Road west of Cambridge. A windmill has been at this location since the late 1700's. The senator's father, John Anthony LeCompte Richardson built the preceding one around 1852. It operated grinding corn and wheat until March 1888 when it was blown down by a blizzard. Two grinding stones and the steps remained intact and are now being used in the present windmill.
This is a one and a half story Colonial Tenant House and was the home of Adeline and Columbus Wheatley from 1880 to 1930. They both worked at Spocott Farm. She was a reknown expert cook and housekeeper and he was an expert craftsman that also served in the Union Army during the Civil War.
What does it look like inside? Cozy
John Radcliffe built a one room school in 1870. It is known as "Castle Haven School" and is dedicated to successive teachers and students.
Here is the inside of the school building. It also looks like a great place to hold a town meeting.
Lloyd's Country Store Museum c.1935 is open on special occasions and furnished in the World War II period and contains a special room dedicated to Senator Radcliffe.
A peek inside the window gives a general idea of what is inside.
Cambridge holds an Annual Ironman Challenge.