Monday, July 17, 2017

Scary People on the Plane

I recently traveled by airplane from PHL to DFW.

Planes and Pleasure seem to have become a thing of the past but this time I was pleasantly surprised.

Packing is always a dilemma, and shoes are just so dang important to an outfit. What to carry on and what to stow, my options were a challenge. For weight purposes, I decided to wear my hiking boots on the plane. They weighed in at two pounds.  I could replace them with tons more shirts, shorts, slacks and lightweight shoes. I would however, have to take them off for TSA, walk barefooted through the x-ray machine and hold up the line grabbing them and lacing them back up again without getting in anyone's way. I had it all planned out. It would be inconvenient but my attitude was good. I can do this. I walked up to the TSA agent and she put a blue dot on my ticket and said you can keep your shoes on. I wanted to kiss her. I was overjoyed, I said, I have the most complicated shoes on, thank you. With that, she swung down around her podium and looked at my feet and smiled.  I have not gotten this lucky since the new rules went into effect.  I did not have to go through x-ray either., just the metal detector.  My wings were at a whole new comfort level. For a second, I thought I was having a flashback to simpler times. I felt like an American again, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.


The Flight and My Fellow Fliers.

as follows
 

I was the Blue Dot and I felt special.


The passenger that got up to reach inside the bag, inside, the bag, inside the bag in the overhead compartment was like watching a magic show!

The guy with the rainbow sunglasses that hit his head coming back from the bathroom tucking back into his window seat, wasn't even that tall.



Coughing, always coughing people on the plane,  Is it allergies or contagious? Why do they ALWAYS sit near me? It begins with a sniff and then the incessant nose blowing with the tissues piling up on the lap. Ugh! I feel my throat getting scratchy. I should have packed Airborne.

Smelly food is the worse, we all get hungry on a flight and crave the pretzels but some of the packed lunches are a little over the top. Can't you eat that before you get on the plane?

Sleepers have my greatest admiration. How can you sleep on the plane? Gimme some of that sit back and relax.

A shirt over the face for darkness? I suspect a cover-up.

A hair raising head of hair, black on top with a full red head of hair flowing from it. How is that even accomplished? Only her hairdresser knows for sure.

Book reader? What does she have there? "Girl On a Train" either missed the boat or is displaced.

Voices always voices in a hushed tone, if you are lucky.

Headphones, I can hear your music, can't you?  It's REALLY loud.


First time ever, I received a survey from American Airlines.
How was your flight?
Basically a well behaved group with no issues, just ordinary people. 

 It is all about the journey and who you are traveling there with. It is no longer about the destination.



Thank you AA for getting me to my destination safely.

On the return trip, a slightly different experience.  The flight was flawless and touchdown was terrific but you know how everyone jumps up immediately as if they are going to go somewhere when the plane reaches the gate. I find it funny, so I was messing around with my husband and taunting him a little bit and pushing him towards the aisle. He turns to me and comments, "unbelievable", addressing my behavior. An older gentleman, so you would think he knows better, was sitting in front of us. He had been reading the New York Times in flight, so maybe a generalization, but you can surmise somewhat intelligent. He turns to my husband and called him an "expletive". I wanted to address this gentleman and tell him, hey, he was talking to me but here we are on a crowded slowly disembarking airplane, we are not going anywhere quick so for once, I had good sense and remained silent.

People are so precious.




No comments:

Post a Comment