Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Easter Birdies of Long Beach Island

I felt the Easter Bunny was a little harder to spot this year, so I went seeking Easter birdies. It was in  the air, you could easily sense it.


 These birds know it is just a matter of time until the summer swimmers will flock to the beach and create crowd chaos. Birds will have to share and they have every right to squawk about it. 


Easter breakfast at the beach, crab of course.


A bunch of Brant Geese joyously enjoying calm waters around the Barnegat Lighthouse.


Also spotted floating in the Barnegat inlet was a lone cormorant. He fits right in with the constant company of fishermen that find this area a "hot spot".



Taking the Maritime Forest Trail


You will hear plenty songbirds as you walk through the dense woods and maybe spot one or two as they swiftly flit from tree to tree. Rarely will they stop to pose as this charming cardinal did.


Birds were bountiful over on the bayside.


Red-winged black birds flashed their brilliant red only to prove they are no ordinary black bird.


Mallard Ducks have style and grace as they demonstrate the mystery of flight, wings up and wings down.


Bonaparte Seagull is what I am naming this one leg balancing, poll sitting seagull.  There are at least 28 species of this seabird, bonaparte is my best guess.



Common Tern would be my name for this crooner but naming anything common to me just seems to be an insult but we all tend to downplay the regulars and the ordinary which make up the majority. Odd how that is.  It is almost more recognizable to let your freak feathers fly.


Osprey never seem to be found far from the nest unless there is good fishing in a body of water nearby.


This oyster catcher couple was a surprise find to me.  I thought they were just summer visitors.  Now I have investigate to see if they are early spring arrivals.


Snowy Egret


Great Egret




Mute Swans have an interesting history, I was just reading about it at Allaboutbirds.org. Mute swans mate for life with a few exceptions.  They do take mates if one of them dies.  If a male mute chooses a younger mate, she will follow him to his habitat, if he chooses an older mate they go to her place. Female mute tend to choose younger mates. I'll stay mute on the rest of their story, you can read it at allaboutbirds.org. Okay one more thing, I saw the swans in the second photograph when they were relatively new to the area in December and a guy that lived there said they just turned white, they were brown the previous week.  You can see a hint of brown on the on in the back.





A cowbird crunching on a crustacean. I know very little about the cow bird except that it has a brown coloring. I seem to be seeing them more and more in my bird watching travels. This one was lunching bayside.



Seagulls are in the foreground.  Is that a Great Blue Heron in the background?


I am guessing this is a Greater Yellow Legs on the tip of the island? It had a long beak. Both of these bird blurred pictures were taken on the road to the Bridge to nowhere in Manahawkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment