1. October 16, 2015 U.S. astronaut and commander of the current Expedition 45 crew, Scott Kelly, broke spaceflight records. On Friday, Oct. 16 Kelly began his 383rd day living in space, surpassing U.S. astronaut Mike Fincke’s record of 382 cumulative days.
2. October 29 Kelly broke another record on his 216th consecutive day in space, when he surpassed astronaut Michael Lopez-Alegria’s record for the single-longest spaceflight by an American. Lopez-Alegria spent 215 days in space as commander of the Expedition 14 crew in 2006. How would you celebrate that accomplishment? See the next line to see how Scott celebrated.
3. Link to Scott Kelly spacewalk selfie October 29, 2015. What I believe to be the first outer space selfie and Scott Kelly's first space walk.
4. Link to watch Scott Kelly play ping-pong with a drop of water on Instagram "neat stuff".
5. Also read the Top 10 Way the International Space Station is Helping us get to Mars on the ISS Instagram link.
6. Play "Where Over the World, Is Scott Kelly"? Players compete to be the first to name the photograph location on Earth taken from space to win a printed photo of the image taken from space and autographed by Kelly after his return to Earth in March 2016. Official rules, must have a Twitter account to play.
7. Follow the photography campaign with Scott Kelly "Why Space Matters" on Instagram.
8. Scott recently joined Tumblr and sent a photo of the big Nor'easter snowstorm 2016 we had on the East Coast and what it looked like from space.
9. Link to astronaut Kjell Lindgren took this photograph of Scott Kelly at work. It was Scott Kelly's 2nd spacewalk/work.
10. On January 8, Scott Kelly asked co-workers in Houston to share in a moment of silence for the victims of the 2011 Tuscan assassination attempt on his sister-in-law, Gabby Gifford's life. Nineteen people were shot and six did not survive including a nine year old little girl who was the granddaughter of Dallas Green, a former coach of the Philadelphia Phillies. January 8 was the 5 year anniversary.
Scott Kelly is scheduled to return to earth in March 2016.
There are many NASA videos on Scott Kelly and many live interviews from space on YouTube. Click here to see Countdown to Conclusion the interview with United States NASA astronaut Scott Kelly and Russian Flight Engineer Mikhail Kornienko of Roscosmos, Voice of America and the Westwood One Radio Network in-flight interview aboard the International Space Station. I have watched quite a few interviews with Commander Kelly he is such a fine example to represent the United States. I pay humble respect to all the men and woman of the Space Program but he especially has caught my attention this past year.
Upcoming space happenings:
NASA Television will broadcast live coverage of a 5.5-hour spacewalk by two Russian cosmonauts aboard the International Space Station beginning at 7:30 a.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 3.
February 4 Colorado Students to Speak Live with Space Station Commander Scott Kelly on NASA TV 12:35 p.m. EST click on link for more info.
Number One Rule at the International Space Station according to Scott Kelly: Be Nice to People and Eat All Your Vegetables.
Now through February five planets, Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Mars, Jupiter align in the sky just before sunrise. On Feb. 6, the moon, Mercury and dazzling Venus will appear in a triangular formation before sunrise.
February 23- 25 http://www.nasa.gov/feature/how-to-survive-in-space-hangout-1-tuesday-feb-23-9-10-am-est-2-3-pm-uk
Historical February space facts in history:
Feb 6 Astronaut Alan Shepard hits three golf balls on the moon. (1971)
Feb 18 A ninth planet is discovered in the solar system and is named Pluto. The discover is Clyde Tombaugh. (1930).
Feb 20 John Glenn become the first U.S. astronaut to orbit the earth.(1962).
Historic site. The home of John Glenn in Ohio.