Friday, December 19, 2014

Top 10 Time for Christmas Classics

O Holy Night is the song that sends chills through me thanks to Father D'Addezio.  I was in grammar school at St. Robert's and he was in charge of the musical program at O'Hara including their band but living in the parish house in Chester.  I was in the all girls choir and he brought in high school students from O'Hara to complement our singing for the Christmas service.  There was a kid in 1969 or 1970, that came to midnight mass at St. Robert's and sang O Holy Night. I have loved the song, it is my favorite Christmas song, ever since. I do not believe I have ever heard it sung more beautiful than that night. The O'Hara kids brought horns with them also.  It was powerful. For those who remember him, I found Monsignor Louis A. D’Addezio on Youtube, he gave the homily for Cardinal Bevilacqua. Father Sabatini ran the CYO at St. Robert's Grade School, the plays he put on were also fond memories. I linked the beautiful Mormon Tabernacle Choir from YouTube singing O Holy Night, we didn't really sound like that but with the O'Hara accompaniment we thought we did.

Little Drummer Boy by Bing Crosby and David Bowie

 White Christmas Bing Crosby (the first "White Album" in our household, the album was all white with Bing in a Santa hat). You had it if you know this song, Mele Kalikimaka (Hawaiian Christmas Song)

The Christmas Song Nat King Cole

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Frank Sinatra

I'll Be Home For Christmas Frank Sinatra from the Sinatra Christmas Album (music I grew up with, my parents tried to educate : )

Let It Snow Dean Martin

Happy Xmas (War is Over) John Lennon

Snoopy and the Red Baron Royal Guardsmen

Do They Know Its Christmas Time At All Band Aid

A Bowie, two Bings, two Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and then the new age, Lennon, Royal Guardsmen and Band Aid, Classics!



No comments:

Post a Comment