Thursday, August 1, 2013

Top 10 August Observances

Happiness Happens Month founded by the SOHP (Secret Society of Happy People).  You can check out their blog at the above link. I found it very upbeat and also found the survey they did some years back very interesting.  They polled governors in 50 states and listed those that participated and those that were just to grumpy to cooperate. I always tell my friends find your happy place but never when I am grumpy.

Medic Alert Awareness Month brings a certain awareness to the public. What do you do in an emergency? I am not a medical professional so I am only expressing my own thoughts on this topic.  I also thought I read somewhere about medical alert tattoos.  So, as I always try to do before I post something, I googled it.  My memory was correct and here is an aarp article on the topic.  I think medic alerts are an invaluable tool but I could not help but chuckle after just looking at the picture in this article.  What if you woke up one morning and had this tattoo engraved on you? Can you do a follow up with a "changed my mind"? I found this particular tattoo perplexing.

National Breastfeeding Month
The USBC (United States Breastfeeding Committee) has an e-newsletter, Staying Abreast and weekly updates are available as well as archived copies at the website link. Click on updates to www. There are also webinars coming up in August.

National Immunization Awareness Month
The CDC has a list of "recommendations" for birth thru 6 years, pre-teens and teens and adults. Always, always always consult with your doctor or a health care professional first, he or she should know your history and what is appropriate for you and the latest updates and studies.

Neurosurgery Outreach Month
The AANS (American Association of Neurological Surgeons) has an informative website, click around on it especially if you have a child about to play sports in the upcoming school year or is a member of a sports team year round.  There are some good common sense suggestions.  Everyone would like their kid to be a star but not at the expense of seeing stars. In my opinion, very scary stuff, educate yourself. Women's soccer is second only to football when it comes to concussions in young athletes.

Psoriasis Awareness Month Psoriasis is not curable at this time but it can be managed. NPF (National Psoriasis Foundation) has information on what can be done.

Children's Eye Health and Safety Month I find the Prevent Blindness America has a very detailed and informative websiteSomething I am negligent about myself is the importance of sunglasses this time of year. Do all you can to protect your eyes while you are young. As I have aged gracefully, my perfect 20/20 vision is something I miss the most.

Spinal Muscular Atrophy Awareness Month "Honor An Angel" join family and friends around the country and light a candle the 2nd Saturday in August at sunset to honor those that have lost their battle with SMA.  Several events are taking place around the country. Locally, tickets are on sale for the Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy September 8th Phillies vs Braves afternoon game at Citizens Bank Park. Tickets are subject to availability.

Foot Health Month  I have this list that says August is Foot Health Month and to verify I go looking on the net and it says April is Foot Health Month.  So in order to avoid foot in mouth disease, I will merely proclaim, Foot Health Month begins with a A, arch, ache, Achilles, anything associated with the foot.

National Women's Month is another one in dispute.  I can find no documented proof. I did find National Women's History Month in March but I am staying with National Women's Month in August and September and October and November and December and January and March and April and May and June and July.  I say lets make a special time each month for women.  Do we have a choice? Let's vote on it. August 26th is Women's Equality Day. Ratified on August 18, 1920, the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits any United States citizen from being denied the right to vote on the basis of sex. 



No comments:

Post a Comment