Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Top 10 Road Trip to NYC

One of the perks of living in the Northeast is 2 hours to the Pocono mountains, 2 hours to the beach, 2 hours to Washington, D C and 2 hours to New York City. Last Friday we went to New York City. There are many modes of transportation to and around New York, train, boat, plane, car, bike but the most popular in the city is the cab.


I have only experienced a cab ride once in New York City.  Yikes!!!  They know where they are going, they can slip in and out of the smallest spaces and quickly too.  Cab drivers know the city and it is a big, big place to navigate and a lot of people to move around.


I marvel at the skill set in calling a cab. Some people merely rise a finger to point to the sky and others give a little whistle and out of nowhere appears a cab. Sometimes I think the cabbies just mess with you and do a drive by.  Rookies aka tourists stick out like a sort thumb. I think it is just New York humor.  Every race, color and creed breathes in New York and I wager to say every country is represented too, but they know who belongs and who does not. New Yorkers are by far a special breed and I never met a New Yorker I didn't like.  They are funny people and they do know how to get along.


A bridge or a tunnel has to be taken to arrive at any destination in the city. You must decide which route you are going to take.  Thanks to the invention of the GPS you are now told which way to go. Take the Holland Tunnel if you are traveling from Jersey City  to Manhattan or the Lincoln Tunnel from Weehawkin.  You can also take the George Washington Bridge or the Verazzano Narrows if you need to get to Staten Island or Brooklyn. This time we took the Holland Tunnel and traffic was not bad at all.







I followed the city's skyline on the way in, Lady Liberty was waving her torch in greeting from the Jersey side and the new building at Ground Zero, One World Trade Center stands tall as a reminder to me, more so then a replacement of the area where the Twin Towers once stood.



The buildings are tall in New York, as a driver all eyes and ears must be tuned into all the activity in the front, back sides of your vehicle at all times meaning eyes in the back of your head and peripheral vision scanning in both direction at all times.  Don't blink or that taxi is taking up that inch of slack you left in the road or willing you on by the blowing of their horn.  I'm not sure I could handle all that pressure.  I appreciated my seat in the back of the vehicle and never once told the driver what to do.  I was too busy looking up.



The balloons were probably left over from a New Year celebration. City Hall stands in the background.


I did want to see One World Trade Center closer and we knew the area from staying there a few years back.  This is a view of the new building one block away.  When it is completed it is slated to stand 1,776 feet tall.


We drove around for about an hour trying to find parking in the area and to get some lunch.  At this point, I was ready to settle for the more traditional fare a hot dog off the cart.  We ended up driving back towards Greenwich Village and we found a restaurant and kiosk parking there.



As soon as I stepped out of the car, I was greeted by the former mayor of New York,  Fiorella H. LaGuardia.  He was born in Greenwich Village in 1882. He was the first Italian American to serve in Congress.  The inscription below his statue said, he was honest, he cared , he was beloved, he set the standard for all those that followed.



Every time I go to New York city I see something new.  It does seem to house and encompass all that America is all about and we keep coming back.





No comments:

Post a Comment