Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Places and Things to See in Bhutan and India

Photos taken by DH Lee, a retiree living in NY City enjoying touring new places.

Here are ten pictures and places he chose:
1. Bhutan: Tiger's Nest  It is about 7 miles round hiking. Took us 6 hours up and down.
 
2. Mother Teresa's House in Kolkata It is where she spent her lifetime taking care of the sick and poor. She's from Albania but she never returned home after she left her country at the age of 17.

3.Trucks with eyes in Bhutan  They believe these eyes will watch the roads even if the driver falls asleep.

4. Old Delhi/Chandi Chowk Bazzar Back alley where we rode on a rickshaw.

5. Jama Masjid - opened in 1656.  It is the principal mosque in Old Delhi.


6. Old Delhi/Raj Ghat(Mahatma Gandhi was cremated here).

9. Khajuraho/Karma Sutra (UNESCO Heritage Site)

10. Varnasi/Cremation Ceremony along the Gangis River. Average 150 bodies are cremated one day here and the ceremony lasts all through the night.

I wrote to DH this week and asked him if he felt uncomfortable while he was in these countries and if he noticed any serious disrespect for woman.  DH was just a visitor in these countries, he doesn't live there and this is what he replied.

I did not see anything hinting Indian men treating women bad, though. Indians are very curious and ready to approach you any time, any where. I do know that it is partly because they want some money from you, but they are curious, and I liked it.
In India good and bad coexist in one area, not like here and most of countries where the good area is segregated from the bad. So, I saw many poor people, piles of garbage around, but I was able to see India beyond.

Taj Mahal is magnificent. All the marbles!!! What a sight! Inside, though, it's rather one dimensional with two caskets: one for the Queen MumTaj and the other King's. King's casket is placed higher than Queen's.

All the places I visited (I believe 9 cities in total), I had time to appreciate them.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it's really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

    Feel free to surf to my blog ... view homepage

    ReplyDelete