1. "D" batteries can't be found, use candles with caution. Never leave a candle unattended.
2. All residents are reminded that the fire companies cannot pump water that has been contaminated with fuel, chemicals or sewer water. Residents are reminded to move all chemicals to higher ground to avoid contamination.
3. It has been recommended to move patio furniture into the house or the garage and shed due to the heavy winds expected. It may be a little too late now but rake the leaves so they are not blocking the sewer drains and roadways are not slippery for emergency vehicles. Stay off the roads and out of the way if you do not have to go out.
4. In the event of losing power, I have been told, you should move cold items like milk to the freezer a half full freezer will keep cold 24 hours and a full one 48 hours, just limit the times you open the door.
5. In case of emergency call 911. In case you lose power, keep PECO's emergency telephone number handy in your cell. Pretty sure PECO will already know the power is down but just in case. Keep the cell charged, you can always use a car charger if your electricity is out. Comcast called our home and said "don't touch any downed wires" and you can sign up for alerts at comcast.com. It was nice of them to be proactive.
PECO Energy Customer Service: 1-800-494-4000.
AQUA America: 1-877-987-2782.
Chester Water Authority: 1-800-793-2323
6. You can sign up for Delaware County Council Community Warning System at delco.alertpa.org
also co.delaware.pa.us and receive a text message and email and choose why you would like to be notified eg.weather warning, flooding alerts, special needs in the vent of an emergency.
7. The LEPC (local emergency planning committee) recommends
- KYW (1060 AM)
- a local news broadcast
- a local cable station for the Emergency Alerting System
9. Downed wires: DO NOT TOUCH report to local authorities. If a wire falls on your car and you are inside DO NOT Touch metal. Blow the horn and ask for someone to call authorities.
10. Important Documents to have in a secure place and to bring with you if you are traveling, Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates, Will, Power of Attorney, Insurance Policies and phone number contact. A full list is at the important documents link. You should always have these documents in a secure place and accessible.
It never hurts to be prepared.
American Red Cross shelters now open.
Delaware County as of 8:30pm Sunday evening, check link for updates.
Delaware County: (All open Monday 10/29 at 9 am) Not Pet Friendly (but could change)
Be safe and good luck!