Monday, October 29, 2012

Top 10 Frankenstorm Trick or Treat

6PM Monday evening PA Governor Corbet said on the NBC news major highways will be closed from 7PM to 2AM 95, 476, 76, 676 and Rt.1 are included.

PA Governor Corbet video he recommends ReadyPA.org

1. Dubbed the "Frankenstorm" Hurricane Sandy has come to town.  It is predicted to be the largest storm to ever hit the East Coast. 

2. Rain through the night on Sunday and still raining as we awoke on Monday morning.

3. Most if not all school's are closed.  I don't know any that are open. Government offices are closed and most businesses have advised employees to stay home, work from home if they can and only essential personal are to report for duty.

4.  The City of Philadelphia as well as the state of Pennsylvania has declared a state of emergency before the storm has even hit.  Warnings have been posted everywhere, radio, television,internet, text messages, Facebook.  No one can claim they didn't know unless they are completely turned off.

5.  What to do as you hunker down? Take inventory.  What essential things are you missing?  For us it was the radio.  The boom box takes 8 "D" batteries.  I was lucky to get 2 from a friend. At least I have a backup flashlight.

6.  Power is almost certain to go out and I hear that wind blowing out there and I think finish this list up and get off the computer.

7. Apps for Smart Phones from the American Red Cross Hurricane App and Find Shelter App.

8.  A recommended weather website to follow from a former FEMA employee wunderground.com

9. Fill up on gas now because if electric goes out the pumps won't work.

10. Good Tip:  I heard the is on weather.com.  Fill plastic bags with water and put them in the freezer. Serves as ice if you need it and also spare water later if you need it, if the water supply gets compromised.  Do it now.  Don't wait!

11:19AM still light rain and windy.  Another good tip I read yesterday.  If you lose power unplug everything but one lamp to prevent a power surge when you power comes back on.  Unplug that stuff now if you don't need it, instead of possibly fumbling around in the dark.

As of 10AM Monday morning we are in a waiting pattern.  I will update when able.

Personally, I have to step away from the computer and the weather channel at some point. I think we are as prepared as we can be. I take it all very seriously but if I continue to watch I just get more antsy.  I do not believe I will be going outside to video.  There are a lot of trees swaying around my house.  All my brilliant ideas came around 2AM in the morning. The honey do list was growing.  I was a supervising helper. lol That is when women think the most : ). Now I think I will just try and stay safe in the comfort of my home with my family and stay in text touch with my daughter in North Carolina.

I signed up for this service yesterday "Ready Notify PA" and these are the type of notices you can receive.  They have been very consistent with the updates.  Signing up they do caution charges can be incurred for text messages. I checked with my provider and we have unlimited text message so we are not charged.  Check with your provider to be sure. Alerts are text messages.

National Weather Service reports:
Coastal Flood Warning
...SANDY WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE RECORD COASTAL FLOODING ALONG THE COASTS OF NEW JERSEY AND DELAWARE... .SANDY WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE LIFE THREATENING CONDITIONS. THE CENTER OF THE STORM WILL MOVE TOWARD THE COAST THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING AND IT SHOULD PASS ACROSS THE CENTRAL OR SOUTHERN PART OF THE NEW JERSEY SHORE AROUND MIDNIGHT BEFORE MOVING INLAND.

Sent to Flood Level Warning through Delaware County ReadyNotifyPA
... powered by RSAN dba Cooper Industries.
--

Tell a friend/co-worker about Delaware County ReadyNotifyPA! Forward this message to them and have them register for this free service at https://delco.alertpa.org/register.php

I will not be adding updates this is a once informational notice. Okay I lied. I think this is important: I just received information that an Animal Shelter has been set up at Chester Park, so far, as of 1PM Monday afternoon this is the only one I can tell is for animals only. To my knowledge pets can not come to the other shelters at this time.  I could be wrong.  Make sure you check first if you need to use this service and let your friends who have pets know.

Chester Park
 E. Elkinton Blvd. & Edgmont Ave.
Chester, PA 19013

No comments:

Post a Comment