It does seem there is no way to take these buggers down but there are ways to exercise control.
1. No it is not time to bring back those machines that drove through our neighborhoods when we were kids and gleefully run behind the cloud of DDT and laugh and scream with delight. This is partially to blame for what is wrong with our generation. "We got all bugged out and thought it was the coolest thing". Years later we realized, that was just plain stupid!
2. Citronella oil is also a renowned plant-based insect repellent, and has been registered for this use in the United States since 1948. The United States Environmental Protection Agency considers oil of citronella as a biopesticide with a non-toxic mode of action. Research also shows that citronella oil has strong antifungal properties, and is effective in calming barking dogs. These references were found in wikipedia but if you have a barking dog issue I think it just may be worth a try. Who knew? I would venture to say a vast majority of us have a citronella candle melting in the sun on the patio.
3. The biggest predator is not the slap happy, it is the dragonfly. However, mosquitoes are easier to catch and swat then a regular housefly.
4. Mosquitoes are members of a family of nematocerid flies. If they are not directly related to the horsefly they went to the same school of bite. They are just nasty, nasty critters and their bad habit of sucking on your blood can cause the transmission of some deadly diseases. West Nile Virus seems to be the latest threat in recent years. WNV is typically not a deadly disease but it can cause serious complications. Malaria, yellow fever and dengue fever are rare occurrences in North America but it never hurts to be aware, especially traveling to other locations with a greater risk,
5. What is the attraction? They want to drink your blood. Female mosquitoes are the bloodsuckers and they need the blood meal for reproduction. Attraction perspiration (lactic acid), octenol (found in human breath and sweat) and carbon dioxide. Some people just have a more attractive odor then others.
6. The CDC believes that products that contain the active ingredients DEET and pitcaridin provide the most effective treatment. Other names sometimes uses are N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide (DEET) and KBR 3023, sometimes known as “Bayrepel” (pitcaridin) outside the US.
8. Best prevention is to avoid infested areas, wear protective clothing and use repellent.
9. Most mosquitoes feed from dusk to dawn.
10. Around the house clear the clutter lying around outside, mosquitoes breed lay eggs in stagnant water. Do not leave empty containers that collect water lying around. Abandon tires and tire swings seem to be an ideal breeding ground.
I read two things of interest found at wikipedia in the mosquito section
Mosquitoes are adapted to ignore side-to-side movement, so a resting female permits a
finger to approach slowly if the finger moves several centimetres from
side to side about once a second. With practice one can use this
stratagem to squash resting mosquitoes with high frequency.
Using a brush to scratch the area surrounding the bite (but not the bite itself) and running hot water (around 49 °C or 120 °F) over it can alleviate itching for several hours by reducing histamine-induced skin blood flow.
and that is the buzz.