Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Top 10 the Original Three Stooges

1. The names Moe, Larry and Curly were memorized even before the alphabet for most baby boomers.  The Three Stooges were our Sesame Street.  It was classic tv. Sorry kids, perhaps that is what is wrong with us today. That show and Bugs Bunny were the best in entertainment but we did know better then to try it at home because our mothers would knock our block's off.  What ever that means.  It sounded scary.

2. I would have gotten this wrong on a Stooges trivia question, Shemp was the first odd man out in the group not Curly. The original group was Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Shemp Howard.  The trio name was Ted Healy and the Southern Gentlemen. Ted Healy was the creator of the Three Stooges. Moe Howard initially joined his friend's vaudeville act and their first movie "Soup to Nuts" put the stooges in the spotlight.

3. Through the course of the famed group there were six stooges, Moe, Larry, Shemp, Curley, Joe and Curley Joe.

4. Moe was the first to break into the business and the last of the surviving original group.  Moe was, can I say this with a straight face, the stable one.

5. Moe, Shemp ( I can see the resemblance) and Curley were all natural blood brothers an grew up in Brooklyn, New York. The Horwitz brother took the name Howard as their stage name.  I can hear it now over the speaker in the hospital when they posed as doctors, Dr. Howard, Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine.

6.  Larry Fine, real name Larry Fineburg an accomplished violin player and boxer was born and raised in South Philly. Joe DeRita, real name Joseph Wardell also was born and raised in Philadelphia. Joe Besser was born in St. Louis Missouri.


7. Why I Oughta and Pick Two, were the famous lines I remember the most.  Moe always said pick three and I remember Curly being so brilliant on the pick three to place his strategically as to block his eyes getting poked out of course was the brilliant one and always outsmarted Curly.  There was a little ear pulling too if I recall correctly.

8. The Three Stooges were in 220 films with 190 of them being short films and I believe the short films are the ones I watched on Saturday morning.  I would swear I saw them all but can only recall one film on the big screen I saw them in. It was a cameo appearance and they played firemen in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World.  Anyone remember that one with Jimmy Durante always kicking the bucket? It is a great film.


9. The Stooge's is the first and only museum of Three Stooges memorabilia at it is located right here in Ambler, Pennsylvania with limited operating hours.  I myself have to date not been to the museum but I have heard from other knuckleheads that it is great.  Check their website link, stoogeum.com for times they are opened, according to the website, they are open approximately once a month, May 26th is the next date.

10.The Farrelly Brothers are bringing the boys humor back to the screen.  I haven't seen the new Three Stooges film yet but I am sure it is filled with a lot of Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk and Why You Oughta go see it.


Have you ever met anyone who said their parents would not let them watch the Three Stooges because it was too violent?  I have and they are messed up, real knuckleheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment