Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Top 10 Lucky Penny Day


1. Today, May 23rd is lucky penny day.  Got a penny?

2. See a penny pick it up, and all the day you'll have good luck. Face up that is.

3.  Do you flip the heads down penny face up so the next person has good luck?  I am not so sure what the rules are if you walk around the block and it is still there.  I say, finders keepers.

4.  Pennies from heaven have to be good right?

5.  I am a penny collector, I have a collection of elongated coins.  Every time I see one of these machines while I am on vacation I have to get one.  It is a cheap souvenir and I consider myself thrifty.



6. According to the U.S.Mint website the cost to produce a penny is .93.  The United States Mint in Philadelphia is currently closed for renovations but plans to have a grand reopening in the summer of 2012.  Keep checking the website for updates.  According to a voice recording when I called, tours will begin again in July.

7.  There have been two bills presented to Congress, the Legal Tender Modernization Act in 2002 and in 2006 the COIN Act to do away with the penny.

8. According to cointrackers.com the 1944 Steel Wheat Penny and the 1943 Copper Wheat Penny is worth $100,000.  I would say they are "lucky pennies".  Look for them.

9. A penny saved is a penny earned, so said who?  Shouldn't we all know that one? Well guess what it is not Benjamin Franklin.  Although, it is often attributed to being one of his sayings.   It is also customary to toss a penny on Ben Franklin's grave located in Philadelphia at the Christ's Church cemetery for good luck.





 10. Be a penny pincher.  It is so vogue until nickel stocks make their debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment