Tuesday, January 31, 2012
3. Smoking Tobacco
4. Drugs (prescription and non-prescription)
5. Social Networking
8. Glued to the Tube (watching television)
9. Participating in sports or watching (coaching from the armchair)
Monday, January 30, 2012
8. Iced tea is more popular in the United States then hot tea. I have read a ratio of 20/80 but also have seen a percent as high as 85%. It is popular choice as an alternative beverage in restaurants.
Sweetened or unsweet seems to be a common question when ordering, except in the southern states, sweet tea seems to be an unquestioned staple in the southern diet. It is commonly known as sweet tea. I do remember having a craving addition to the Southern Brew myself.
9. Tea seems to follow the most popular unfollowed rule, if you can't say anything bad about something, don't say anything at all. I have heard and believe there are a lot of good things about tea to date I can not recall anything bad but there is always something. Before you go digging for trouble relax and have a spot of tea. It is said to have soothing qualities. UGH! I knew somebody would find it so I sought it out first, it's in wikipedia....Researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago stated that tea phenolics help inhibit the growth of bacteria that cause bad breath. If you want people to avoid you, don't drink tea, have coffee.
Friday, January 27, 2012
(I am embarrassed to admit I know fans that say "no" we can't, but I can.)
Congratulations to the New England Patriots and the New York Giants making it to the big dance Superbowl XLVI. Best of Luck!!!
Here are a few links to area specific songs.
1. I Am A Patriot Jackson Browne
2. New York State of Mind Billy Joel
3. Massachusetts Bee Gees
4. A Heart in New York Simon and Garfunkel
5. We Will Rock You starring the Cheers cast on Youtube
6. In a New York Minute Don Henley
7. Please Come To Boston Kenny Loggins
8. I'll Take New York Tom Waits
9. More Than a Feeling Boston
10. I Love New York Madonna
Thursday, January 26, 2012
|Dover Patrol Memorial|
|Obelisk of Buenos Aires Photo courtesy of J. Acree|
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
2. The dilemma do you take a personal day or take your life in your hands? Not everyone can work from home.
3. When you look out the window at all the pretty white stuff and your car is buried under it. UGH!
You have to shovel a path to your door and to your car BEFORE you clear the driveway and dig out your car.
4. When the excitement that you are exercising and burning off calories wears off, this stuff is heavy!
5. When you know you better taken Tylenol or ibuprofen now cause you are gonna be hurting later.
6. When the car in front of you makes it half way up the hill and stops, you are stuck.
7. When you get out of work early due to road conditions, yet it takes at least that extra 15 minutes to clear your car and double the time to drive home because every body is getting out early.
8. When you spend all that time clearing every speck off your car and the snow from the car across the lane from you who forgot to clear their roof suddenly slides onto your windshield and you temporarily can't see driving down a four lane, which is now only two lane highway..
9. Arrive home and either there is no parking space on the street and or you have to dig your driveway out to get in. There is no guarantee the space you dug out this morning belongs to you. People can get shot for moving trash cans.
10. Normal exercise gets hampered you can't walk safely in the street and running especially if it is icing is not the wisest thing to do.
Monday, January 23, 2012
2. Sorry that cancer takes so many lives.
3. Sorry that such a horrific scandal came and tarnished an impeccable reputation of honor.
4. Sorry that he will not be able to stand and defend himself at a trial where he did what he thought was the right thing to do.
5. Sorry that the accused actions of one man can bring down another.
6. Wondering if these allegations helped to advance his condition.
7. Wondering how many more victims will be affected before this case is solved.
8. Wondering why he seemed to be the hardest hit with the exception, of course of the children involved in the scandal.
9. Wondering if some one is out there gunning for every one or just the popular ones, looking for a scapegoat or a deflection.
10. Wondering how a lifetime of great achievement and reputation can be shattered by a mistake made by someone else.
We are, of course sorry for the loss to the Paterno family and the entire Penn State family and alumni that lost one of their own. Joe Paterno now is to go down in history as an "unsung hero". There still remains quite a volume of people that will sing his praise. To many Joe Paterno put them on the map and on the path to recognition and greatness.
He was Penn State. I guess he is a lesson to us all. At the end of our days, who is our support system. Those are your friends and the ones that matter,the ones that will stand by you. Shame on us all, really. How often do you see or hear about an injustice, make a comment about it, maybe mention it to a few people and shrug and say "what could I do'? Turns out we are all capable of doing a lot of damage by doing nothing.
Friday, January 20, 2012
Hey You Get Off Of My Cloud Rolling Stones (such a classic)
Both Sides Now (Clouds) Joni Mitchell
Heavy Clouds No Rain Sting
Clouds in My Coffee (You're So Vain) Carly Simon
From the Clouds Jack Johnson
I Can See Clearly Now Jimmy Cliff
Cloud Nine Temptations (Concert alert, The Temptations are playing at the Keswick Theater May 10, 2012.) The Youtube link says March but I double checked it's May.
Cloudy Average White Band
Obscured by Clouds Pink Floyd
Secrets/Far Above the Clouds Mike Oldfield
Thursday, January 19, 2012
2. There can not be enough of these stories told. Each family has their own unique story.
3. You can not even fathom how these people feel or felt but you can feel for them.
4. It is a chilling story and one that will bring you to tears.
5. It is a story of disconnects and connections.
6. Tragedy very often happens from a senseless act of violence that is incomprehensible, yet we struggle to try and understand.
7. We all possess our own key. Every one must find their own key and unlock the door
8. Many times the things you keep to yourself only do more harm.
9. You must forgive yourself to allow others and yourself to move on. There many relationship lessons.
10. Superb acting performance from the immediate family and the tambourine. Thomas Horne who plays Oskar does a tremendous job as the only child of one of the people who lost their life on September 11th. It is based on a book by Eric Roth. It easily could be the true of any one of the many families that lost loved ones that day. It is very moving. Be prepared to cry. It just means you border on the side of a person with feelings and that is a good thing.
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
1. Twilight Time by the The Platters is a little mood music. Without a doubt the colors radiate a beauty that emulates love and a peacefulness at this time.
3. Twilight is the time between dawn and sunrise. It is a very contemplative time, especially on a beach with hardly a soul around.
4. Or it can be between sunset and dusk, during which time the sunlight in the upper atmosphere illuminates the lower atmosphere. The surface of the earth is neither completely lit nor completely dark.
5. The sun is not visible because it is below the horizon.
6. Twilight has long been popular with photographers and painters, who refer to it as the "blue hour", after the French expression l'heure bleue.
7. Morning civil twilight begins when the geometric center of the sun is 6° below the horizon (civil dawn) and ends at sunrise.
8. Nautical twilight is the time when the center of the sun is between 6° and 12° below the horizon.
9. The Twilight Years, I believe are often referred to as the later years in life, just as the sun has passed over the horizon. After reading further at wikipedia a valuable source to me, I am glad to know Twilight is also just before the sun rises again and the new day begins.
10. I've read at wikipedia that Twilight is sacred in Hinduism. Hindus believe that this time is ideal for study and education.
Today January 18, 2012, the English wikipedia will be blacked out globally in protest against the proposed SOPA Stop Online Piracy Act, pending legislation in the United States. It is something we should all be aware of, read about, pay attention to and voice our opinions.
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
2. Financial Wellness Month
3. Cervical Cancer Awarness Month
4. National Birth Defects Prevention Month
5. Thyroid Awareness Month
6. Family Fit Lifestyle Month
7. National Poverty in America Awareness Month
8. National Glaucoma Awareness Month
9. National Radon Awareness Month
10. National Soup Month, no links here for I have never met a soup I didn't like. There are tons of recipes in cookbooks, online, family hand me downs, neighbor and friend suggestions but I always find the best ones are the ones you just make up yourself with what you have on hand. It is also International Creativity Month. What a better way to celebrate both, get in the kitchen and let your Julia or Julian Child shine.
Monday, January 16, 2012
6. Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech, Nobel Peace Prize lecture and “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” are among the most revered orations and writings in the English language. There is a link on YouTube US National Archives March on Washington. you can view the speech in full. It is powerful. The speech was made August 28, 1963 at the March on Washington on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. The 1963 march was an important part of the rapidly expanding Civil Rights Movement. It also marked the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation by Abraham Lincoln. Singer, songwriter Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and gospel singer Mahalia Jackson were on hand to lend their support. Charlton Heston, Marlon Brando, Harry Belefonte and Sidney Poitier were also in attendance.
8. Dr. Martin Luther King was the youngest person at 35 years of age to receive the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964. He was just 39 years old when he was assassinated. The National Martin Luther King Day of Service began in 1996. Since 1996, the annual Greater Philadelphia King Day of Service has been the largest event in the nation honoring Dr. King.
9. The King Center Imaging Project goes live today. It will contain thousands of never seen before documents. Today January 16th, 2012 a wreath lying ceremony will take place at the Washington D.C. Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial to honor his birthday. The event is free and open to the public.
unveiled a bronze bust of Dr. King. It is located in an open air park at 6th and Engle Streets. The five foot statue was created by renowned sculptor Zenos Frudakis at his Glenside studio. The eyes are deep and intense, a true likeness.
Martin Luther King JR. made huge strides in this country against social and civil injustice but we still have a long road to go, hopefully someday "we shall overcome".
Reposted from 2012
Friday, January 13, 2012
I first mentioned James Maddock in one of my first blogs in March of 2010 "Top 10 Indie Artists To Be On the Lookout For". Here is your opportunity, he will be appearing at Burlap and Bean in Newtown Square, PA on Saturday, January 21st. Good stuff. You can reserve tickets at the Burlap and Bean website link.
A sampling of some of his songs.....
2. When the Stars Align James Maddock with David Immergluck of Counting Crows
3. Too Many Boxes
4. When You Go Quiet
5.When the Sun's Out
7. Prettier Girls
8. Sunrise on Avenue C
Wake Up and Dream selected as #13 Album of the Year 2011 by Listeners of wfuv.org in New York City.
You can also follow James Maddock on Facebook. He has a fan page.
January 14th, 2012 at the Light of Day Concert, Asbury Park on stage with Willie Nile, Joe D'Urso and Bruce Springstein!!!
Thursday, January 12, 2012
2.Baking soda can put out grease fires. True but you need a lot, read more to the story at firstaid.about.com Sodium bicarbonate powder may be used to smother a small fire, as heating of sodium bicarbonate releases carbon dioxide.
4. Make a paste with baking soda and water and put it on minor burns and bee stings to take the sting out. That's what my mother used to do when we were kids. Can't remember how we got the burns tho!! But that was the remedy!!" Mayoclinic agrees about the stings and Sunburn magazine agrees with the minor burns.
5. Sprinkle a little in your shoes for a little freshening up! True it is an odor eater. Askville.com also says it helps with cat liter odor.
6. Years ago I spilled a mixture to make home made ice cream all over the rug in my car. Milk can leave a nasty smell in an enclosed space especially in the summer. I tried a lot of things and baking soda was the final solution. True verified at ehow.com
7. Whitens Teeth with a demonstration from wikihow My dentist once recommended baking soda and peroxide for brushing your teeth. There is a toothpaste like this on the market now. In order to get the exact combo I would either purchase that or talk to your dentist about it.
8. Deodorize in the refrigerator, True, open a box of baking soda, tear off the lid and leave it in the refrigerator no longer then three months, date the box. It absorbs the odors.
9. I take the same box and dump it down the drain but maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years. This link has a few other suggestions, housekeeping.about.com.
10. Without a doubt and the winner is and I have been saving the best for last. "1950's Rice Krispies giveaway, Submarine fill the bottom with baking soda it sank to bottom of the tub baking soda melted then the submarine would rise! I can provide a picture!!" I didn't need a picture but I found a bunch of links, check these two out. Kellogg's.com facts and Torgo.com
Source: Facebook Friends, Shirley, Lesile, Patty, H.J.,Joanne, Lauren and Mary and verified on the web. Recommendations just for fun use caution with everything you read on the internet and always do your own research.
ArmandHammer has a most extensive and informative website on the uses of baking soda. Check 'em out.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
- Who: Chess Grandmaster Bobby Fischer
- Note: Said while dying of kidney failure.
- Who: Errol Flynn
- Who: Alfred Hitchcock
- Who: Groucho Marx
- Who: Michelangelo
- Who: Mozart
- Who: Nostradamus
- Who: Pablo Picasso
- Note: Paul McCartney paid homage to Picasso in the song Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me), which can be found on the Band on the Run album.
- Marco Polo, Venetian traveller and writer
- Who: Mark Twain
- Note: Spoken to his daughter Clara.
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
|The inscription under "Animals in War"|
"This monument is dedicated to all the animals
that served and died alongside British and allied forces
in wars and campaigns throughout time"
The second, smaller inscription simply reads:
"They had no choice"
Monday, January 9, 2012
If you are star struck, meteor showers, weather permitting are scheduled for January 3,4 Quadradtids. The skies were clear, but the early morning was cold in the Northeast United States. I only lasted about 10 minutes outside and I saw nary a one. I hope to catch, Lyrids April 21-22, Eta Aquarids, May 5-6, Southern Delta Aquarids, July 28-29, Persids, August 12-13, Orionids, October 21-22, Leonids, November 17-18 and finally Geminids, December 13-14. Best advice: Be patient and just keep looking up! Google it!
The 1st Winter Youth Olympics will be held in Innsbruck, Austria, 13 to 22 January, 2012. Viel Glück an alle. The Medals Plaza and Music Festival will be take place at Maria Theresian StraBe.
|Maria Theresa Street Innsbruck, Austria|
This year, 2012 is a leap year. A leap year occurs every four years most of the time. One day, February 29th is added to the calendar. Depending on your perspective, it could be a long year or you have been granted an extra day to get it right. A year that is not a leap year is called a common year, so this one is special. Leap year is a human invention to keep the calendar on track with the seasons. A person born on February 29th is known as a leapling or leaper. There are a few folk traditions that women may propose marriage on leap years, Sadie Hawkins day is unofficially February 29th.
|Relax fellows this one is married. You are safe!|
Expo 2012 Yeosu Korea the next World's Fair (Korean: 2012 여수세계박람회) is an International Exposition recognized by the Bureau of International Expositions (BIE) to be held in Yeosu, South Korea from May 12 to August 12, 2012. The theme of the Expo is “The Living Ocean and Coast” with subthemes of “Preservation and Sustainable Development of the Ocean and Coast,” “New Resources Technology,” and “Creative Marine Activities.” The Yeosu Expo is anticipating participation of more than 100 countries and international organizations, and 8 million visitors.
The Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II will be a forth coming international celebration. It will mark the 60th Anniversary of the accession of Queen Elizabeth II to the throne. The official celebration will take place over June 2, 3, 4, and 5. More information is available at direct.gov.uk
The 2012 Summer Olympic Games, officially known as the Games of the XXX Olympiad or "London 2012 Olympic Games", are scheduled to take place in London, England, United Kingdom from 27 July to 12 August 2012. London will become the first city to officially host the modern Olympic Games three times, having previously done so in 1908 and in 1948. More information is available at london2012.com.
|Queens Gate an entrance to Hyde Park. This venue will host the triathlon and the 10 km open water swimming events. The park is also planning on holding the 2012 Iron Man competition.|
The Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) is a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) mission with the aim to land and operate a rover named Curiosity on the surface of Mars. Currently in transit to Mars, it was launched November 26, 2011 and is scheduled to land on Mars at Gale Crater on August 6, 2012 (about 10pm in the evening of August 5 PDT, the time used by the mission controllers in Pasadena, California). You can follow with Curiosity on Twitter.
The United States presidential election of 2012 is the next United States presidential election, to be held on Tuesday, November 6, 2012. It will be the 57th quadrennial presidential election in which presidential electors, who will actually elect the President and the Vice President of the United States on December 17, 2012, will be chosen. Barack Obama, who is eligible for a second and final term as President, has announced that he will seek nomination to be the Democratic Party's candidate in this election. The Republican candidate is yet to be decided. Originally, 10 candidates were vying for the position, to date there are 6 interested candidates. Third Party and independent candidates can be viewed at the United_States_third_party_and_independent_presidential_candidates,_2012 wikipedia link.
The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of beliefs according to which cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on December 21, 2012. NASA addresses 2012: Beginning of the End or Why the World Won't End? You can follow the link. A New Age interpretation of this transition is that this date marks the start of time in which Earth and its inhabitants may undergo a positive physical or spiritual transformation, and that 2012 may mark the beginning of a new era. Personally, I like the sounds of door number 2 "the new age" where Earth's inhabitants will undergo a positive physical or spiritual transformation, they both sound good.