Monday, December 20, 2010

Top 10 What do you want for Christmas?

1. I always wanted an easy bake oven and never got one. I was told it wasn’t worth it. I did however purchase one at a garage sale many years later for my daughter. It made very small cakes. We didn’t use it very often.

2. My girlfriend and I used to sign our Christmas cards, peace love and happiness, we saw each other every day and it became a joke between us. Just this year she asked, “how come we don’t do that anymore”? I didn’t have a good answer so we did it again for a few emails. I do not see her every day anymore she moved to Texas too many years ago. We do have a constant flow of emails though.

3. Do you still send out Christmas cards? It seems to be a dying tradition. I don’t mind the electronic greeting but I do still put all the Christmas cards I still receive inside the manger when I pack it up. I was told about this tradition many years ago by a friend. It is suppose to keep all those inside safe for the year.

4. Every one also has what is perceived as a Scrooge or a Grinch in their family or friend circle and some years it has probably been me. You can’t be merry all the time.

5. Giving gifts is a joy to the giver and there are times when you have to conceal the confusion when you open a gift. What is it? I don’t often use something that confuses me unless once I get the knack it makes my life easier. I am not that much of a gadgets person. I don’t read directions either, those are the days when I feel like a hard headed man. I hung around with my father a lot when I was little. I think a little rubbed off.

6. Christmas is not a holiday that is celebrated by every one and it is often shoved down your throat. Not that the “true” meaning behind it isn’t one of the greatest stories ever told. No room at the inn? You have to wonder how that innkeeper felt after he found out just who was looking for a room. Was he proud he offered the stable? How many today would offer at all?

7. Do you go all out and spend your life savings on just one day? Does it hold that much significance to you? Is it worth credit card debt? Exchanging of gifts is a wonderful gesture but must they all hold a price tag?

8. Maybe it is just me but some big international disaster always seems to happen around this time of year or on a smaller scale to an innocent family. When you hear about it, isn’t your first reaction, no, not at Christmas?

9. Many people struggle this time of year seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that occurs at the same time every year, a loss of a loved one is felt much heavier this time of year, family troubles surface at gatherings. It can be a tough time of year and not so merry to those spending it alone.

10. There are a lot of expectations that have been put on this one day of the year and the true meaning of love, peace and happiness has been so lost over the years and I still don’t have an answer as to why.



I did receive coal one year. Uncle Bert warned me over and over again, I was going to get it. Luckily, I learned a lesson from that at a very young age and I still remember Uncle Bert for that, he is one of my ghosts from Christmas pasts and he gets a visit from me every year. He is buried right next to my father.

I am still not carrying that disappointment of not receiving an easy bake oven but I can’t help but feel a twinge of, I will not get exactly what I want for Christmas. I would like to see every one have just one small moment over the holidays to just experience the quiet and peacefulness that was meant to be celebrated on this very special day of the year.


There was no big fanfare.
That is all I want for Christmas. How about you?
I welcome the exchange of ideas.

1 comment:

  1. As a kid I always felt Christmas was anti-climatic. You wait all year, and especially the countdown 12, 11 10, 9, etc. to Christmas day and all of a sudden it's all over. You wake up the next morning with a lot of new stuff, everything you thought you NEEDED and couldn't live without, but it's a little bit of a let down once it's all over. As you get older and have kids of your own (for me MUCH older) you start to realize the reason for the season and it's heart-warming. But, the author of this "Top Ten" blog really describes and explains all this perfectly! I really enjoyed reading this!! Thank you and Peace, Love and Happiness to you and yours this holiday season and througout the New Year!

    ReplyDelete