1. Saturday, September 25, 2010: was NATIONAL TAKE-BACK INITIATIVE. You were able to bring your old, expired and unneeded prescription medications to the township building for safe disposal at the police department between the hours of 9am and 1pm. No questions asked!!!! This is a particularly important safety initiative for families with children and the elderly. It also protects our teenagers, which is the age group experiencing a huge increase in addiction to pain medication. If you missed this event an alternative and safe way to dispose of medications that are out of date can be found by following this FDA link. Flushing down the toilet or the drain does pose a threat to the environment.
2. Garden City Golf Outing at Springhaven CC on Monday, October 18. Please support your fire company for a fun fill day. Go to the township website for more information. http://www.netherprovidence.org/dnn/ (click on "Township Notices") October is also Fire Prevention Month.
3. 5K First Responders Race in Nether Providence Twp on Saturday October 16. Sign up early.
4. Leaf mulch available at the public works yard on Brookhaven Rd. We drive by all the time. This is a catch it when you can opportunity.
5. The Thomas Leiper Historic House in Nether Providence Township is open for tours on Saturday and Sunday from 1- 4 PM.
6. Nether Providence Twp history books now available at your local book store, (i.e. Borders). Retails for $22. Learn about the rich heritage of Nether Providence Twp.
7. The Community Art Center (CAC) is currently displaying the BRAD HOWE collection in the Duke Gallery until October 15, 2010. The CAC also sponsors various Art-Themed bus trips throughout the year, with two upcoming trips to the Frick Collection in New York on October 21 and Nemours Mansion and Gardens and the Griggs Museum of American Art in Dover, DE on December 1st, 2010. Go to https://www.communityartscenter.org/trips/ for more information.
8. Strath Haven Football is still a draw for area residents. Come out and support the team and see a spectacular half time show from the Strath Haven High School Marching Band.
9. Budget meetings have begun, every Thursday night at 7pm at the township building, except for Sept 30 and Thanksgiving. Open to the public. If you have a question and want to get involved in your community, come out and attend the meetings.
10. Township Commissioners encourage residents to contact them with any questions or concerns. Their email addresses can be found at this link Nether Providence Commissioners email . The township also offers a great website full of information. http://www.netherprovidence.org/dnn/
We are fortunate to live in an area that is rich in historical value and community awareness. There are additional blogs at delcotimes.com that highlight some of the other towns in Delaware County check them out. If you do not see your town and would like to offer information, I would be delighted to highlight your pride. Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.