Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Top 10 Stars Associated with Hedgerow Theater in Moylan, PA

1. Jasper Deeter was founder (1923) actor, producer and artistic director at the Hedgerow Theater for over 50 years. Mr. Deeter’s films include The Blob and 4D Man both are sci-fi films. Other notable teachers at the Hedgerow Theater School were Delores Tanner and Rose Schullman, I have had the pleasure of meeting this lady, not only did she leave her mark on many actor’s, which I was not, she was full of personality and loved the ponies at The Brandywine Raceway and was an avid poker player.

2. Ann Harding was also an original founder of Hedgerow. She attended Bryn Mawr College for one year. It has been said that Ann named the theater by saying “we will perform theater if we have to do it in the hedgerows”. Harding received an Oscar nomination as Best Actress for her starring role in the 1930 screen adaptation of Philip Barry's play "Holiday”. A biography written by Scott O’Brien, Cinema’s Gallant Lady is available for further reading.

3. Richard Basehart studied at Hedgerow Theater from 1938 – 1942. He moved on from Broadway to Hollywood. My best recollection of Richard was the television series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Prior to his death, he narrated the closing ceremonies on the 1984 Olympics in LA.

4. Van Heflin enrolled in Hedgerow Theater in 1931. He made his film debut opposite Katherine Hepburn, another Bryn Mawr alumnus in 1936 in his film A Woman Rebels. He won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in Johnny Eager (1942).

5. Keanu Reeves studied acting at Hedgerow in the summer of 1972.

6. Langston Hughes completed the full-length drama Mulatto while he was working at the Hedgerow Theater in 1928. Hughes was an American poet, novelist, playwright, short story writer, and columnist. Langston Hughes died of complications from prostate cancer in May 22, 1967, in New York. In his memory, his residence at 20 East 127th Street in Harlem, New York City, has been given landmark status by the New York City Preservation Commission, and East 127th Street has been renamed "Langston Hughes Place."

7. Austin Pendleton to my knowledge did not study at Hedgerow; he was a Yale graduate but appeared on stage at the Hedgerow Theater in 2004. He directed Elizabeth Taylor in 1981 in The Little Foxes and was nominated for a Tony Award for best director in that production.

8. Ralph Roseman a Broadway manager and producer. Ralph was a member of the advisory board at Hedgerow Theater when I had the pleasure of knowing him and his wife Yvonne. My eventual husband and former Hedgerow alumnus lived in their Rose Valley residence across from the Hedgerow House and looked after their home while they lived in New York. Ralph once got us tickets to see my favorite musical in New York City starring Yul Brenner, in the King and I. The seats were eighth row center stage. It was a phenomenal view. Yvonne, his wife once offered to pay for my education at Carnegie Mellon for film studies. I videoed the scattering of the ashes of Rose Schullman at the Hedgerow Theater and it deeply touched Yvonne who was a very dear friend of Rose’s. Ralph Roseman and Yvonne Vinzic also an actress never had any children but took all that passed through the Hedgerow doors under their wings. They were a class act couple.

9. Tyne Daly best know by myself in the television series Cagney and Lacey also received two Tony Awards for Outstanding Performance by a leading actress in the musical Gypsy and Best Actress in Drama Desk Award. She won six Emmy Awards and was nominated 17 times. Daly studied acting with Jasper Deeter.

10. Henry Jones made his acting debut at Hedgerow Theater playing Doctor Glenn in An American Tragedy. He appeared in more the 180 movies and television shows.

Penelope Reed the daughter of veteran actress Janet Kelsey has taken over the reins of the next generation at Hedgerow Theater a historical gem right here in our own backyard.

Other names that I have either seen perform at the theater or have heard of the legendary names.

The Cast
Helen Alexander Audrey Metcalf Logan Ramsey Anne Ramsey Greg Wood Margo Jones was Delores Tanner roommate in college Eva LeeGalliane Virginia Farmer Alan Joslyn Dorothy Kyte Harry Bellever Alexander Kirkland Virginia Vestoff John Beal Helen Craig Lou Lipka Danny Fruchter Tom Teti Tom McCarthy Mary Louise Berk Peggy Shays Ed Sokol David zum Brunnen Serene Ebbhardt Daryll Heysham Jona Harvey John Harvey aka Harvey in the Morning Libby Solomon Bill Taubor Susan Wefel Rosemary Gregario George Spillane Charlie Walnut David Fiebert Mark Segal Robert Rados Richard Green Dennis and Katie Chupein Kim Garrison Julie Kaufman Adam Versani Michelle Powers Moria Rankin Ken Marini John Gallagher Sissy Reynolds John Allen Stephanie Priest Harry Hollins Morris Carnosky Phoebe Brand Van Heflin Abner Biberman Marianne Wiley Gail Cohen Nola Bonecutter Miriam Phillips Bette Lou Roselle Paul Kuhn Lee Fiero Maggie Smith Suzanne Kaaren Julia Heflin Zoran Kovcic John Barrett Stephen Stahl Derek Evans Rich and Ron Morici Ed Wilcox Debbie Moreno Alison Hull Nick Siegert Bill King John Wade Wayne McEvilly John Descono ( I know I am spelling his name wrong so someone please correct me. We have spotted him on television many times.

I’m sure I have missed many names; these are the few that I can remember with the help of a phone conversation with Gail Cohen and Robert Rados.


in memory Charlie Walnut

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog this morning and was very happy to come across it. Had been surfing Jasper Deeter material - I studied with Jasper and Rose Schulman in the 1940s and 1950's played a Memorial Beethoven Concert for Jasper at the Theatre, and have a long history at the farmhouse and theatre.
    One of Jasper's and Rose's primary texts for their beginning acting students was Annie Payson Call's book "Power Through Repose" - All the actors you mentioned above were introduced to that book, and it, along with the example of interest, attention, and energy that Jasper put into every split second of his communications, had got to have a lasting impress on everyone who came his way.
    I wonder who has that video now of the scattering of the ashes of the great Rose Schulman?
    I have so many stories that will now remain untold, of Rose and of Jasper -
    Rose was, in her earlier years, a big woman - Seeing a photograph of herself on the back seat of my Cushman Motor Scooter she laughed and said "I'm immense!" It was quite a trip, hauling Rose up the mountain climb on the road from Albuquerque to Santa Fe and then on to Taos!
    Well, just dropped by, and all this came rushing into my brainbox. Haven't thought of Rose on the motor scooter (about 1958) in years!
    Thanks for the post.
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard your concert in "the big room" at Hedgerow Theatre House. What a privilege. I loved the place when I was there. -- Nola Bonecutter

      Delete
  2. Your welcome Wayne. I actually have and took the video it is somewhere in my achieves on vhs. I never met Jasper Deeter but I hear you are a very fortunate person to have met and studied with him. Now Rose, I adored because I never took acting lessons from her (smile) she was a tough but amazing woman. I will also add you to the list of professionals associated with Hedgerow. I myself was purely an observer. A lot of talent has gone through there. When and if I find the video, I will tranfer it to a dvd and post it on youtube for all Rose's adoring fans to share :) She was a class act. I never saw her on stage though. A sure miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome Wayne. I actually have and took the video it is somewhere in my achieves on vhs. I never met Jasper Deeter but I hear you are a very fortunate person to have met and studied with him. Now Rose, I adored because I never took acting lessons from her (smile) she was a tough but amazing woman. I will also add you to the list of professionals associated with Hedgerow. I myself was purely an observer. A lot of talent has gone through there. When and if I find the video, I will tranfer it to a dvd and post it on youtube for all Rose's adoring fans to share :) She was a class act. I never saw her on stage though. A sure miss.

    ReplyDelete