Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Top 10 Mother Songs

1. Mammy, Al Jolson How I love thee, how I love thee, my dear old Mammy.

2. Mamas Don’t Let You Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. As long as it’s not J. R. Ewing you should be alright. John Wayne was always a good guy.

3. Your Mama Don’t Dance and Your Daddy Can’t Rock and Roll. Loggins and Messina. Disproved in this house we always have the music flowing.

4. Mother and Child Reunion. Paul Simon. That hug is so real folks, embrace it!

5. Mama Told Me (not to come) Three Dog Night. Do they ever listen? We just pray they don’t get caught.

6. You Mother Should Know. Beatles. Believe me we know. We know everything but it will take several years before you realize it. Ask your father.

7. Days Like This. Van Morrison.
When it's not always raining there'll be days like this
When there's no one complaining there'll be days like this
When everything falls into place like the flick of a switch
Well my mama told me there'll be days like this

When you don't need to worry there'll be days like this
When no one's in a hurry there'll be days like this
When you don't get betrayed by that old judas kiss
Oh my mama told me there'll be days like this

When you don't need an answer there'll be days like this
When you don't meet a chancer there'll be days like this
When all the parts of the puzzle start to look like they fit
Then I must remember there'll be days like this

When everyone is up front and they're not playing tricks
When you don't have no freeloaders out to get their kicks
When it's nobody's business the way that you wanna live
I just have to remember there'll be days like this

When no one steps on my dreams there'll be days like this
When people understand what I mean there'll be days like this
When you ring out the changes of how everything is
Well my mama told me there'll be days like this

Oh my mama told me
There'll be days like this
Oh my mama told me
There'll be days like this
Oh my mama told me
There'll be days like this
Oh my mama told me
There'll be days like this


8. I’ll Always Love My Mama. The Intruders. “You only get one”. A well thought out process in the selection pool. Nothing else in this world like that bond from day one.

9. In My Daughters’ Eyes Martina McBride. Song reversal here that just makes me cry for one day I hope my own daughter passes on the legacy. Just not tomorrow for I am too young and vibrant and beautiful but not to old to play.

10. The Wonder of You. Elvis Presley. Doesn’t mention mother once in this song but here’s a snippet of the song. Who else could he possibly be talking about? When no one else can understand me, when everything I do is wrong. You give me hope and understanding, you give me strength to carry on I guess I’ll never know the reason why you love me as you do. That’s the wonder, the wonder of YOU!

Happy Mother’s Day

To all past, present and future mothers.

2 comments:

  1. You have got to be kidding about "Mammy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't say Mammy is my favorite song or that I sing it on occasion it just came to mind. I'm sure there are a million great songs out there about great moms and Al Jolson just sang about one, his own I am assuming. You made me look it up. "My Mammy" was first performed by William Frawley, Fred from I Love Lucy as a vaudeville-style act during 1918 according to wikipedia. So today I have learned something new.

    ReplyDelete